Friday, October 28, 2011

Amadou et Mariam: "The blind couple from Mali"



Amadou Bagayoko and Mariam Doumbia are two blind African singers from Mali. Amadou became blind when he was sixteen and Mariam became blind when she was five from untreated measles. They met while they were both attending Mali’s Institute for the Young Blind. They found that they both had a love for music and became inseparable.
They married in 1980 and made their first recordings. Their music started out as just guitar and vocals, and by 1985, they became well-known for playing Malian blues. One of their famous and successful albums in Paris, France, was titled Sou Ni Tile. They recorded the official anthem for the 2006 FIFA World Cup with Herbert Grönemeyer, named “Celebrate the Day.” They came to America and played in the Lollapalooza music festival in 2008 in Chicago, Illinois. Also in 2008, they released their hit, “Sabali,” which placed number fifteen on Pitchfork Media’s Top 100 Best Tracks of 2008. Amadou and Mariam received the award for Best Group at the Songlines Music Awards in 2009. Their latest appearance was in February 2011, performing in U2’s tour in Johannesburg and Cape Town as a support act.




What about your musician’s sound do you like? How does the sound affect your mood? What does the sound remind you of?

I like Amadou and Mariam’s music style because it’s different. In America, a lot of songs sound the same and it begins to get bothersome so listening to their music takes me away from that. Their song “Sabali” is my personal favorite because it has a happy beat. Their sounds include a lot of different instruments from many places including Egypt, Africa, and America. I think that adds to their music a lot and is definitely a part of their fame. It reminds me of a book my class and I read in 8th grade about a young girl in Yemen who is forced into marriage at a young age.

What do other viewers say about the musician in the comments on YouTube?

“j’adore :)” – I love :)
"j'avais oublie comme cette musique est trop relaxante” – I had forgotten as the music is too relaxed.
“je suis totalement d'accord avec toi!!! leur musique est trop cool” – I totally agree with you!!! Their music is too cool
“J'aime bien ce morceau” – I like this song
“A wonderful beautiful song. I love it. La vie est belle!” – Life is good!




No comments:

Post a Comment